A Certificate of Good Standing can be obtained from Companies House for any UK-registered private limited company that has been in continuous, unbroken existence since the date of its incorporation and has complied with all statutory filing requirements since that date.
To meet the criteria for this certificate, your company must not have any overdue fees or charges at Companies House or HMRC, nor should there be any actions being taken against the company to have it struck off the register.
If you wish to apply for a Certificate of Good Standing for a private company limited by shares or guarantee, you must ensure that:
- the company has at least one ‘natural’ director (i.e. a human being, not a corporate body) over the age of 16
- the annual confirmation statement (formerly called the annual return) and annual accounts are delivered to Companies House by their statutory filing deadlines
- changes to your company’s registered details are reported to Companies House and/or HMRC within the required timeframes
If your company can satisfy all of these requirements, you can get a Certificate of Good Standing at any time after company formation.
Why would I require a Certificate of Good Standing?
A Certificate of Good Standing is most often required in the following circumstances:
- opening a business bank account for a UK limited company with non-resident directors
- opening an overseas business bank account for a UK-registered limited company
- trading overseas or setting up an overseas branch or office for a limited company registered in the UK
- to satisfy lenders, potential clients, suppliers, and investors who are considering lending to, or doing business with, your company
By providing a recent Certificate of Good Standing, you are demonstrating that your company is complying with all of its statutory obligations and is not subject to any kind of sanction or formal disciplinary action.
What details are displayed on the certificate?
The following details are displayed on a Certificate of Good Standing :
- registered name of the company
- Company Registration Number (CRN)
- date of incorporation at Companies House
- names of all current company directors
- name of company secretary (if applicable)
- registered office address
- date of issue
The certificate will also include a good standing statement to the effect that the company is up to date with its filings, has at least one natural director over the age of 16, has been in “continuous, unbroken” existence since incorporation, and is not subject to any actions regarding its dissolution, liquidation, or administration.
These certificates are only valid for 3 months from their date of issue. After that time, you will have to apply for an up-to-date certificate, if required.
1st Formations services
1st Formations provides Standard and Express services for obtaining a Certificate of Good Standing from Companies House. Our Standard service is available for just £49.99 (excl. VAT), and certificates are issued by Companies House within 5 working days.
Our Express service is available for just £99.00 (excl. VAT). The certificate will be issued by Companies House within 24 hours if the order is placed before 1pm Monday-Friday.
To apply for a Certificate of Good Standing online through 1st Formations, you will be required to provide your name and contact details, your company name and registration number, and a delivery and invoice address. Certificates are delivered via Royal Mail to any UK or overseas address of your choice for no additional charge.