A Certificate of Good Standing can be obtained from Companies House for any UK-registered private limited company that has been in continuous, unbroken existence since the date of its incorporation and has complied with all statutory filing requirements since that date. However, to obtain this certificate, a company must not have any overdue fees or charges due to Companies House or HMRC, nor should there be any actions being taken against the company to have it struck off the register.
If you wish to apply for a Certificate of Good Standing for a private company limited by shares or guarantee, you must ensure that:
- The company has at least one ‘natural’ director (i.e. a human being, not a corporate body).
- The annual confirmation statement (formerly called the annual return) and annual accounts are delivered to Companies House by the statutory filing deadlines.
- Changes to your company’s registered details are reported as soon as possible.
If you can satisfy all of these requirements, you will be able to obtain a Certificate of Good Standing at any time after company formation.
Why would I require a Certificate of Good Standing?
A Certificate of Good Standing is most often required in the following circumstances:
- Opening a business bank account for a UK limited company with non-resident directors.
- Opening an overseas business bank account for a UK-registered limited company.
- Trading overseas or setting up an overseas branch or office for a UK-registered company.
- To satisfy lenders, potential clients, suppliers and investors who are considering lending to or doing business with your company.
What details are displayed on the certificate?
The following details are displayed on a Certificate of Good Standing :
- Names of all company directors.
- Names of all company secretaries (if applicable).
- Registered office address.
- Date of incorporation with Companies House.
- Confirmation that the company is up-to-date with all statutory filing requirements.
These certificates are only valid for 3 months from their date of issue. After that time, you will have to apply for an up-to-date certificate, if required.
1st Formations services
1st Formations provides Standard and Express services for obtaining a Certificate of Good Standing from Companies House. Our Standard service is available for just £49.99 (excl. VAT), and certificates are issued by Companies House within 5 working days. Our Express service is available for just £99.00 (excl. VAT), and certificate are issued by Companies House within 24 hours for orders placed before 1pm Monday-Friday.
To apply for a certificate online through 1st Formations, you will be required to provide your name and contact details, your company name and registration number, and a delivery and invoice address. Certificates are delivered via Royal Mail to any UK or overseas address of your choice for no additional charge.