You will find your company registration number on your Certificate of Incorporation, which Companies House will have issued to you on completion of the company formation process. Your registration number will also be displayed on all forms of official communication that Companies House sends to you.
Additionally, company registration numbers are listed on the public register alongside the other registered details of limited companies and LLPs in the UK. You can view this register online (for free) via Companies House Service (formerly known as Companies House BETA).
What is a company registration number?
A company registration number is a unique combination of 8 numbers, or 2 letters plus 6 numbers (the exact combination will depend on the type of company registered and its location).
It is used to identify your limited company or limited liability partnership (LLP) and verify its existence as a legally incorporated entity. It may also be referred to as a ‘Companies House Registration Number’ or simply a ‘company number’.
When to use your company registration number
There are many occasions when you will need to use, or be asked to provide, your company registration number, including when you:
- contact Companies House
- submit or update your annual confirmation statement (previously the annual return)
- file your company’s annual accounts
- report changes to your company’s details
- register with HMRC for Corporation Tax and VAT
- register your company as an employer and set up PAYE
- file your Company Tax Returns and VAT returns
- send PAYE reports to HMRC
- apply for a company bank account
- apply for a loan, credit account, or lease in your company name
Where to display your company registration number
Limited companies and LLPs are legally required to display their company registration number on all business stationery, including:
- Compliment slips
- Order forms
- Other online material
I have lost my company registration number
If you forget or lose your company registration number, you can find it in the following places:
- your Certificate of Incorporation
- official letters from Companies House
- Companies House Service
- 1st Formations’ Online Company Manager. This free service is available to clients and non-clients:
- existing customers can simply enter their login details to access their company data, including their company registration number
- non-clients can create an account free of charge to import an existing company and manage it online
Our Company Manager facility can be accessed at any time and can be used for viewing and updating your registered details and filing information electronically with Companies House.