There’s a lot to consider when choosing the name for your limited company. Is it too similar to another name on the register? Is it easy to remember? Does it make it clear what you do?
So it’s a great feeling when you come up with the perfect name – you can picture the logo, the domain name is available. You’re all set and your business is off to the best possible start.
And then you realise you’ve made a big mistake. Perhaps you slept on it and decided it doesn’t make sense. Maybe a friend pointed something out that you didn’t notice. Or – you spelt the name wrong.
Don’t worry, it’s fixable. Here’s what to do if you want to change your UK limited company name.
Changing the name if you haven’t completed the company formation process
- Choose your limited company name
- Pick your package
- Make payment
- Enter your company formation details
If you have worked your way through the steps but have not submitted your company application to Companies House, good news – you can easily change your company name at no extra cost.
There are two stages in the company formation where you can edit your company name. The ‘Particulars’ section and the ‘Review’ section.
Simply type over your existing company name with the new one, not forgetting to add ‘Ltd’ or ‘Limited’ – then click ‘Check another name’. We’ll immediately tell you if your new name is available. When you’re happy, continue through the process again, being sure to double-check the company name on the ‘Review’ page.
Changing the name if you’ve already formed your limited company
If you have completed the company formation process with a name you no longer want, we can help you change it with our change of company name service. This service includes the:
- Preparation and filing of the NM01 document
- Minutes required to make the change
- Resolution required to make the change
- Digital copy of the name change certificate
Once the documents have been sent on your behalf, the name change is normally live within 2 days.
A few things to consider if you’re changing the name for an existing company
- When you change a company name you do not get a new certificate of incorporation, instead, you receive a certificate of incorporation on change of name
- Your old name will remain on the Companies House register under the ‘Previous company names’ field
Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please get in touch if you have any questions.