If you can’t remember what SIC code you used when forming your company – or filing your last confirmation statement – it’s not a problem. Here’s how to find out your company’s code.
If your company was formed by 1st Formations
Your ‘Company Overview’ page holds all your basic company information, including your company number, authentication code, registered office address, appointment details, share details, and yes, your SIC code(s). To access this page:
- Login with your username and password
- Select ‘My Companies’
- Select the ‘View’ button
- The code will be included in the ‘Company Particulars’ section
If your company was formed elsewhere
Don’t worry, you can still find the information – even if your company wasn’t formed by us.
- On the Companies House website, enter the name of your company and select the magnifying glass button
- Select the correct company name from the list of results
- The code(s) will be presented at the bottom of the ‘Overview’ tab, under ‘Nature of business (SIC)’
What is the SIC code?
An abbreviation of ‘Standard Industrial Classification’, the SIC code is a 5-digit number that provides Companies House with an indication of the industry that your company will be doing business in.
When forming a company, you will be presented with the list of SIC codes – simply pick the code that is most appropriate for your business. You are by no means obliged to operate in the industry that you select. The purpose of the code is to give Companies House, and associated government bodies, an idea of what you and your business will be doing.
A company can select anywhere between one and four codes and has the opportunity to update these whenever a confirmation statement is filed.
We hope this post has been helpful. Please leave a comment if you have any questions.