A company registration number (CRN) is a unique combination of 8 numbers, or 2 letters plus 6 numbers. It is used to identify your limited company or limited liability partnership (LLP) and verify its legal existence as an incorporated entity.
Companies House will issue a CRN during the company formation process. You will find your company registration number on your Certificate of Incorporation and all forms of official communication that Companies House sends to your registered office address.
CRNs are also listed on the public register alongside the other registered details of limited companies and LLPs in the UK. You can view this register online (for free) via Companies House WebCHeck or Companies House Service (formerly known as Companies House BETA).
A company registration number may also be referred to as a ‘Companies House Registration Number’ or simply a ‘company number’.
1. When to use your company registration number (CRN)
There are many occasions when you will need to use, or be asked to provide, your Company Registration Number, including when you:
- contact Companies House
- submit or update your annual confirmation statement (previously the annual return)
- file your company’s annual accounts
- report changes to your company’s details
- register with HMRC for Corporation Tax and VAT
- register your company as an employer and set up PAYE
- file your Company Tax Returns and VAT returns
- send PAYE reports to HMRC
- apply for a company bank account
- apply for a loan, credit account, or lease in your company name
2. Where to display your CRN
Limited companies and LLPs are legally required to display their company registration number on all business stationery, including:
- Compliment slips
- Order forms
- Other online material
3. I have lost my CRN
If you forget or lose your company registration number, you can find it in the following places:
- your Certificate of Incorporation
- official letters from Companies House
- Companies House WebCHeck or Companies House Service, both of which are free of charge to access
- 1st Formations’ Online Company Manager. This free service is available to clients and non-clients:
- existing customers can simply enter their login details to access their company data, including their CRN
- non-clients can create an account free of charge to import an existing company and manage it online
Our Company Manager facility can be accessed at any time and can be used for viewing and updating your registered details and filing information electronically with Companies House.